PA Monuments - Lebanon County
- 2nd Brigade Combat Team 28th Infantry Division Fallen Warriors Memorial
The 2nd Brigade Combat Team 28th Infantry Division (2/28 BCT) Fallen Warriors Memorial, designed and built by members of the brigade while serving in theater, honors 83 members of the 2nd BCT who died while serving in Iraq from June 2005 to June 2006. It was positioned in front of the brigade’s Camp Ramadi headquarters in Iraq, before the unit returned with the monument this past June.
The Memorial was fabricated from material available at Forward Operation Base (FOB) Ramadi. It was erected in front of the 2/28 BCT headquarters at FOB Ramadi and was dedicated on Easter Sunday, 16 April 2006. At that time, 76 fallen warriors were honored. The Memorial was disassembled and shipped from Iraq the the United States and was re-dedicated on 21 October 2006 to honor 83 fallen warriors who gave their last full measure of devotion.
The memorial is made of iron, symbolizing Iron Soldiers from the Iron Brigade. Additionally, it represents the history of Pennsylvania's Iron and Steel industry. Iron is also the most abundant element in blood, symbolizing the blood
shed by our fallen warriors.
The memorial is in the form of an obelisk and the history of the obelisk began over five thousand years ago. They were built by ancient Egyptians to protect and dedicate temples. The obelisk represents the Soldier's efforts to protect and defend freedom. Obelisks are built in pairs and a second obelisk is proposed to be constructed at Boalsburg, PA.
The obelisk stands 21 feet tall, echoing the 21-gun salute. the damaged steel represents the unique war, the living fight, and the fallen left behind. Steel plates cover all four sides of the pedestal, acting like up-armor and holding the names of the fallen.
Keystones, made from different elements, rest above the plates. One is polished steel and when one sees their relfection, it represents the fallen warrior inside all of us. Another is ballistic glass that has been shattered to represent the conflict the participants had been engaged in. One is red stained wood to represent the blood that was shed. Another is marble to represent the strength, resolve, and steady purpose of the 2/28 BCT.
Inside the obelisk, ID tags (dog tags) for each fallen comrade are suspended from chains. A light shines on them from the base of the structure skyward through the obelisk cap. The cap is made of shattered vehicle glass and acts as a window through which their souls will shine for eternity. As the wind passes through the structure, the dog tags move with a wind chime suspended below them, creating a subtle sound, like the quiet whispers of the fallen as they continue to speak to us.
Along with honoring our fallen warriors, this memorial is also a reminder that the United States is the beacon of liberty that shines throughout the world and that we must stay strong.
The memorial now stands in front of the 28th Division Headquarters building on Fort Indiantown Gap near Annville, PA.
- 16th Pennsylvania Infantry Monument, Mt Gretna
In the middle of a quiet stretch of land, shaded by a grove of trees, stands an unassuming monument to the 16th Pennsylvania Infantry. The small marker stone is located on the corner of Lakeview and Timber roads in Mt Gretna. Although a tranquil location now, this area was once the spot where the 16th Pennsylvania Infantry mobilized for the Spanish-American War, the Mexican Border, and for World War I being known as the 112th United States Infantry.
To get to Mt Gretna, follow PA Route 72 until it merges with US Route 322. Exit PA Route 117 towards Mt Gretna. Proceed through town, turn right on Lake View Road. Follow this road until you get to a stop sign. The monument will be to your right.
- Fisher Veterans Park, Lebanon City
Fisher Park is located in the southern section of Lebanon and features several monuments to it veterans. The park is named after James E. Fisher, a Lebanon city councilman from 1913 to 1924, who helped the city purchase the land in 1923. He was the city’s first superintendent of parks and public property. The park resonates with history as you make your way from monument to monument. The Spanish-American war through the First Gulf War have all been honored in this park. The main attraction is a World War II era tank parked near the front of the park that has been dedicated to all American servicemembers. A flagpole stands in the center of the park, also dedicated to the men and women who served in Vietnam, Korea and the Persian Gulf War.
Spanish-American War Soldier's Monument
This is the first monument to be placed in the park. It stands as a memorial to all the local soldiers who served during the Spanish-American War from 1898-1902. The monument is a bronze statue of an American Infantryman from that period. The statue was created in 1923 by noted war-memorial sculptor Allen Newman and is one of 52 in the United States. It was dedicated to the park on Sept. 7, 1940, the year Newman died. It stands 9 feet tall atop a 14-ton boulder.
His high boots and backpack make him look like a boy scout to those who are unfamiliar with the uniforms of this time. That's why this figure is known locally as "the hiker." The base of the monument features a plaque with each of the campaigns from the war and a list of servicemembers who died while fighting there.
World War I and World War II Monument
At the leading edge of the wedge-shaped park stands a granite marker bearing the names of all the local soldiers who served in both WWI and WWII. There are bronze marker plaques for both wars, one on each side. This stone monument stands as a reminder to the human costs of each of those wars.
World War I side of the monument
World War II side of the monument
Korean War Memorial
The Korean War monument stands nearby the Spanish-American War Monument. It is also made of granite and contains the names of all the servicemen and women who perished during this war. It stands as a 50th year remembrance to the 2150 people who served during this war. The Rear of the monument features a bronze plaque depicting battle scenes and aircraft from this time period.
Vietnam Memorial and the Walkway of Honored Memories
The Vietnam War Memorial is perhaps one of the largest in the park, featuring a wall, a flag, a dedication plaque, and benches to reflect on the memorial's impact. The wall itself features a Vietnam era soldier carrying his wounded comrade through a jungle area with a helicopter flying overhead. All five of the U.S. Military branches of service are engraved on the wall as well.
A dedication plaque stands directly in front of the wall with the names of the fallen servicemen and women from this war. These names include one civilian as well, illustrating the fact that not only military members were casualties during this war.
The rear of the wall contains another plaque with the names of those who participated in establishing the memorial. The Aamerican flag stands directly behind the wall.
The "Walkway of Honored Memories" is a brick pathway that leads you up to the monument. Many of the bricks have a name of someone who served during one of these conflicts.
American Servicemembers Monument
When you pass by Fisher Park, the first thing that grabs your attention is the American Servicemembers monument. The decommissioned tank that dominates the south end of the park is an M-60 that was placed there on June 5, 1996. It was acquired by the Lebanon Veterans Advisory Council from officials at Fort Indiantown Gap. This type of tank was considered the army’s workhorse from the mid 1950s to the 1980s and saw extensive use in Vietnam. It is also a focal point for anyone driving through Lebanon on Route 72 from either direction. A smaller tank and then a deck gun that came off the cruiser the USS Detroit were located in the spot now occupied by the M-60.
To get to Fisher park, follow PA Route 72 either north or south towards Lebanon. Proceed thorugh town. The road runs directly past the park. Parking is available on the street.
- Fredricksburg Veterans Memorial
A large memorial stands directly in front of the Fredricksburg Elementary School in honor of all community veterans. It is adorned with flags and flowers and sits on an elevated dais with two benches adjacent to it. The 5 foot long, 8 foot long granite slab was placed there by American Legion Post #915 and, as the inscription reads, "A grateful community."
- Governor's Troop Monument, Mt Gretna
Hidden on an access road in Mt Gretna lies a little-known monument from the Spanish-American War. The monument is basically a stone obelisk nestled in the woods near Conewago lake in Mt Gretna. The monument consists of two parts, one is part of the original monument that was erected and dedicated in 1909 and the other is a bronze tablet made from metal recovered from the wreck of the U.S.S. Maine. The attack on the U.S.S. maine touched off the Spanish-American war with a rallying cry of "remember the Maine!" The monument was refurbished in 1984.
The Governor's Troop, Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry served in the Second Army Corps attached to the corps headquarters. The unit served in Puerto Rico in August of 1898.
The inscription on the monument reads:
PENNA VOL. CAVALRY
ENROLLED APRIL 28, 1868
MUSTERED MAY 13, 1898
To get to Mt Gretna, follow PA Route 72 until it merges with US Route 322. Exit PA Route 117 towards Mt Gretna. Proceed through town, turn right on Lake View road. This will be a very narrow trail, rather than a road. Turn left onto Conewago Road. The monument will be at the fork in the road ahead of you. It is set in dense forest area, so it may not be visible from your car.
- Myerstown Veterans Memorial
The Myerstown Veterans Memorial is located just outside the Myerstown Elementary school. It is a 6 foot high, 12 foot wide inscribed slab of Vermont Barre granite. The slab is surrounded by flowers and shrubbery as well as a few small american flags planed in the garden. One side of the monument sits overlooking a steep hill on the school grounds. On the opposite side, there is a small courtyard and a flagpole loacted directly in front of the monument.
This monument was originally dedicated around 1945, but has been updated in recent years to reflect the losses the community has suffered in subsequent wars in which the U.S. has been involved.
The slab has the names of veterans lost in battle from World War I to the Persian Gulf War. There is also a name of a soldier lost during the Lebanon conflict.
- Palmyra VFW Veterans Memorial
This modest 1 foot tall by 5 foot wide granite slab is a token of the VFW's appreciation for all the American service men and women who have served in foreign wars. It is located on U.S. Route 422 as it runs through Palmyra, just outside the VFW Post #6427 building.
A long-time dream for Pennsylvania's veterans is now a reality. At its site at the Indiantown Gap National Cemetery in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, the Pennsylvania Veterans' Memorial is the first in the Commonwealth to honor veterans of all eras from the Revolutionary War forward. This Memorial stands - a central location for ceremony and contemplation, education and commemoration - in lasting tribute to those who served our state and nation in times of war and peace.
The Pennsylvania Veterans' Memorial at Indiantown Gap National Cemetery is on a natural hillside terrain looking toward a panoramic view.
The Memorial design is intended to evoke "the ruins of a war-torn building centered in a land of solemnity." Its architecture is peaceful and harmonious, containing the elements of air, land and water representative of the battlefields where our veterans fought for our freedom. A tomb for all fallen soldiers, known' or 'unknown, is strategically placed, mindful of the sacrifices shared by veterans in the cause of freedom.
The concept of the Memorial is to create a place that will recall to the minds of visitors the dedication, sacrifice and sense of purpose that veterans have undertaken in defense of freedom since the founding of this nation. It serves as an active living memorial to the ideals and principles for which veterans have served, done battle and died.
The visitor approaches the site through the cemetery by the winding parkway. The materials selected for the building and landscaping are an extension and enhancement of the existing site and countryside. The experience of visiting the Memorial should evoke strong emotions and extend beyond the limits of the building, so the building and site should grow together without boundaries.
Approximately 360' long by 85' wide, the Memorial will be capable of accommodating both private reflection and public commemorative activities. An outdoor amphitheater contains seating for large groups and is intended as a versatile facility to support major ceremonial programs and patriotic events. It will provide a place to honor the dead and thank the living.
The Indiantown Gap National Cemetery opened on September 20, 1982. It is the sixth largest national cemetery with 677 acres and a projected capacity of 55,000 Gravesites
Director, Indiantown Gap National Cemetery: James R. Metcalfe II
- Palmyra WWI and WWII Memorial
This memorial sits in front of the Palmyra Middle School. It is a 1 foot by 6 foot granite slab commemorating the service of community veterans during both World War I and World War II. The slab is flanked on each side by benches and is located along the sidewalk.
To get to the memorial, take US Route 422. Turn onto South Railroad St. Go right on Cherry. The school will be on your left, the monument is directly in front of the school building near the sidewalk.
- Richland Veterans Memorial
The Richland Veterans Memorial is located on the corner of Linden and East Main Streets. This colorful memorial is made up of trees, shrubbery, and flowers featuring a large granite column in the center, located directly behind a flagpole. The names of those who died in World War I, World War II and Vietnam are inscribed on the column.
- St Cyril & Methodius Parish Veterans Memorial
This modest stone monument stands 4 feet high and 5 feet long as a memorial to all the parishoners who served in the military, or "God and Country" as the memorial is inscribed.
The monument was designed by the parish priest and a comittee. It stands near the corner of Lehman and 13th Streets in Lebanon, PA.
- GAR Monument, Newmanstown
Newmanstown is home to a Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) Civil War Monument. Located at the rear of the Elias United Church of Christ Cemetery, this monument features a 100 pound Parrott Rifle, a Civil War-era cannon barrel. It weighs 9,688 pounds and sits atop a red brick pedestal.
The monument was erected and dedicated in 1904 by Post 471 of the GAR and the Fort Stedman Camp Sons of Veterans. To get to Newmanstown, take PA Route 419 south towards Newmanstown. Once in town, turn right on South Sheridan Rd. The cemetery will be on your left.
- Moravian Church G.A.R. Memorial
A Monument to the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) sits in the cemetery of the Moravian Church in Lebanon County. It features a Civil War-era cannon that had been originally captured by the Confederates in battle. The cannon, a 3" Ordinance Rifle, had been spiked once it was captured. "Spiking" means the rear opening where powder is added had been blocked with a metal spike or nail, rendering it useless as a weapon. The cannon can still be fired, but not without a great deal of effort.
The cannon was later re-captured by Union forces and stored in the Allegheny Arsenal. The monument was erected in July of 1931 and dedicated to the G.A.R., Frederick Fuhrman Post 23 VFW, Wm Bollman Post 158 American Legion, and the Andrew B. Gloninger Camp 91 United Spanish War Veterans.